CHOCOLATE BEETROOT CAKE September 26 2014, 0 Comments
by Madeleine Delany
Earth Garden 167
100 g dark chocolate
3 medium free range eggs
300 g brown sugar
180 g butter
300 g cooked beetroots (see cooking method below)
1 tsp vanilla extract / 1tbsp vanilla essence
30 g cocoa powder
100 g almond meal
100 g plain flour
1 ½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
- To cook the beetroots, wash thoroughly and place in a pot full of cold water. Bring to the boil and cook until soft when poked with a knife. Cool, rub off the skins and then blend or mash until smooth. (Reserve the red cooking water and use to cook rice or lentils – I made beetroot and goats cheese risotto!)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and line two 22cm cake tins.
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a double boiler and leave to cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl, lightly whisk together the eggs and sugar.
- Slowly add the cooked beet puree, the melted chocolate and vanilla into the egg mixture. Beat until just combined.
- Sift the cocoa, flour and baking powder. Add this, the almond meal and salt to the beet batter. Fold until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Pour into cake tins and bake for 35-45 minutes, or until the cake just springs back if you touch it. Leave to cool, the spread one the frosting
250g cream cheese
¾ cup icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Whip cream and cream cheese to soft peaks, add icing sugar and vanilla and beat until combined. Spread on the cake and refrigerate.