Viv’s Rhubarb Chutney November 28 2014, 0 Comments
It’s a great way to use a glut of rhubarb. If you don’t have 3 kg’s just adjust the quantities accordingly.
3-4 tbsp sunflower oil
4 tbsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp crushed black peppercorns
1 tbsp fenugreek seeds
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp turmeric
1 bulb of garlic, peeled and grated
5-7cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
2 fresh chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
3kg Rhubarb roughly chopped into 3cm peices
500g Brown sugar
250g Raw sugar
400ml cider vinegar
2 tbsp salt
- Warm the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over a medium heat and add the spices, stirring well and frying until the mustard seeds just begin to pop. This will only take a minute or so – be careful not to scorch the spices. Add the garlic, ginger and chillies, stir well, and fry gently for few minutes.
- Tip the chopped rhubarb into a large preserving pan and pour over the spices.
- Add the sugar, vinegar and salt.
- Stir over a low heat until the sugar dissolves, then simmer for about 2 hours until thickened, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if you think it’s beginning to look too thick.
- Check for tartness. As rhubarb can vary you may need to add a little more sugar to taste at the end. Make sure it is dissolved and cooked in completely and don’t make it sweet like jam.
- Bottle in warm, sterilised jars, filling the jars really full as the mixture will shrink slightly as it cools. Seal with vinegar-proof lids.